SGA VoteBox

This is IIT Student Government Association’s VoteBox. Use it to submit your ideas to SGA so that we can better serve you and take care of the most pressing issues to IIT students.

Note: the number of votes allowed has been raised to 15. You can always retract votes from ideas and provide them to other ideas. Also your votes will be returned to you once an idea you are voting on is closed (completed/declined)

I suggest SGA ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Repeal the decision to require meal plans for all on-campus students

Starting the Academic year of 2013-2014, all students living on campus regardless of which dormitory will be required to have a meal plan. This takes away any and all advantages of living in Gunsaulus, Carmen, or SSV rooms with kitchens. Students are being required to spend extra money in order to live on campus, they were not consulted in this decision, and now need to make this stop.

Force IIT and Sodexo to repeal this decision that requires all students living on-campus to have a meal plan.

531 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      started  ·  11 comments  ·  Admin →
    • Request IIT to attract/negotiate higher quality 24 hour options for purchasing healthy, affordable food on campus.

Right now 7-11 has a monopoly on IIT students ... And they know it. Very limited supply of healthy foods, prices marked up 2-3x market value, often expired or poorly refrigerated foods, food that has been sitting out for a long time.

I think IIT can use its power to reach out to businesses in order to get healthy food options ON campus, no matter what time of the day, and provided at the same competitive prices found throughout the rest of the city.

430 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Install security cameras on the boundaries of the main campus and have IIT Public Safety monitor them 24/7, especially at nights

On Tuesday, April 28th, 2014 at approximately 10:45pm, an IIT student was robbed by two armed people on Michigan Avenue outside of Gunsaulus hall. Due to the lack of patrols around that area during that time, IIT Public Safety was not able to prevent this incident, and due to the lack of security cameras around campus, they were not able to identify the attackers nor the car they used. We ask IIT to install security cameras on the boundaries of the main campus and have the IIT Public Safety department monitor them 24/7, especially at nights. The locations for the…

430 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • CTA bus service up and down 31st street

It would be really nice to have a bus on the whole stretch of 31st from halsted to the lake. Can we ask the local authorities to do something about this?

It will resolve safety issues near Dunbar Park area and help students living nearby.

220 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Establish a transparent and objective weather response policy which takes those living off-campus into account

As seen by IIT's response to Winter Storm Linus on February 1, 2015, many students feel left out of the decision not to close the university, and do not understand what the university's policy is regarding operations in inclement weather. The university remained open and classes were scheduled to be held, yet many sidewalks and parking lots were not cleared of snow at 8:35am when the first classes are scheduled to start. To prevent future occurrences of this issue, a policy should be established and shared with students which has objective criteria for whether or not to close the university…

183 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • Have the school pay for homework services (WebAssign, Smartworks, etc.)

We shouldn't have to pay money just to do our work in class, especially when we have already bought at textbook.

180 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • 170 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We have contacted Residence and Greek Life about this matter. The respinse from RGL is as follows:

“The meal plan that is necessary to live in the residence halls is contracted through Sodexo. This would be something about which you would need to speak with Matt Mueller and Jean Bingham. The meal plan is part of the package so that student with busy schedules have time and access to well prepared and well balanced meals. After students’ first year on campus, they are eligible to move into a unit with a kitchen to prepare their own meals and not take part in a meal plan. Graduate students living in Graduate Hall in MSV are also able to have a partial meal plan.”

We’ll be contacting Dining as our next step in addressing this issue.

• 153 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow for non-Sodexo food distributors on Campus.

Sodexo's current contract with IIT does not allow for outside companies to sell food on the campus of IIT (with the exception of Einstein Bagels).

I propose that once the Sodexo contract expires this year, we either A. do not contract with them again (and select a different distributor, such as Aramark) or B. make provisions for allowing third-party food vendors on campus.

Current dining hours are not beneficial to students, and weekend hours are outright pathetic. 7/11 does not cut it for 24-hour food access!

148 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow students free parking.

Currently it is incredibly over priced to own a parking pass for the lots. Seeing as these lots are free for all White Sox events. We, as paying students, should be entitled to at least the same accommodations.

142 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Plan a "Reading Week" before finals

This would be a week off prior to finals for the purpose of studying or completing final projects.

137 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

The IIT academic calendar is set 4 years in advance, so before a change like this can be made, many factors have to be taken into consideration. In order to have a week of no classes before finals, it would either require moving the start/end date of classes, or removing some vacation days from the semester. Some suggestions to think about are having a reading period which would be one or two days before finals, making it easier to accomodate. It’s also possible to request professors not to assign work during the last week of class. We are meeting with the registrar to discuss these ideas and will let you know as the conversation progresses. Until then, let us know what your thoughts are and if you have any alternatives ideas.
                          Eyoel B Asfaw – VP Academic Affairs

• Replace Broken Keating Fitness Center Equipment.

All three barbells in the fitness center are bent to the point where they are uncomfortable and dangerous to use. These barbells need to be replaced as soon as possible. Straight bars are not an option, they are a requirement in any facility that claims to be a fitness center.

This is to say nothing of the lack of circular plates, bumper plates, and lifting platforms. The fitness center is woefully ill-equipped for IIT's serious athletes and this would be a start on the correct path to improve our school's athletic facilities

126 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Work with OTS to investigate solutions to solve chronic wireless issues (speed, usability)

Countless times students have complained about not being able to connect to IIT-Secure, it being too slow (especially in residence halls), frequent disconnections, dead spots, and a variety of other issues. In the 2014-2019 Strategic Plan, strategic priority #4 is "Enhance IIT’s Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environments". In order to have a productive learning environment, technology must be working at its full potential. Frequent issues prevents students from completing homework, and faculty and staff cannot do their jobs properly.

Thus, SGA should work with the Office of Technology Services, students/staff with a strong networking/IT background, and end users to develop a…

113 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Cheaper food in the center court for students that pay cash

People on meal plans can use their bonus points here that dont cost them a thing but if your paying cash a good lunch can be 15 to 20 dollars. for this price i can go to an actual restaurant and get a way better meal. also the food quality is not that good so i really dont see why we have to pay so much

86 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                planned  ·  Gokul ButailGokul Butail responded

Yes, Dinning services is planning to give Bonus Points at cheaper rates. For example: You will get $70 worth bonus points for $50 on your Hawk Card. (This is just a factious number to give you an example). You may see this happen in a year or so.

• Request IIT performs an audit of administration, practices, spending, and contracts to most responsibly use the Innovation Campaign money

Our university is asking for a lot of money for admirable goals, and we would all hate to see those millions of dollars mismanaged and used for things not intentioned. Aa successful audit including actions in areas that could use improvement could make our campus operations more efficient and also encourage others (including myself and others like alumni) to donate.

84 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • 79 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

I have met with the registrar about this issue. He is also of the opinion that the course retake policy should be changed. Currently, I am drafting a proposal for a new course retake policy which will be presented to the Undergraduate Studies Committee. Anyone interested in viewing or contributing to the proposal can contact me. My info is on the SGA website.
                                    Thank you.
                                    Soonen Ahua
                                    VP Academic Affairs.

• Less red tape

OSL, FB, IIT, etc., all have too much red tape. They make it too hard to get things done on campus.

76 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      started  ·  Elnaz MoshfeghianElnaz Moshfeghian responded

This is a common topic for us and something we take seriously but it is also very complex in nature. SGA is already engaged in dialogue with the Office of Campus Life on this matter, in addition to reflecting on the role our own Senate, Finance Board, and Judicial Board play. To the best of our ability, we will update this page with our progress and in turn ask that you let us know how your experience is evolving.

• Renovate Keatings!

Compared to previous campus gyms I have seen, our gym is very small and has limited machinery. I believe this is another reason that discourages students from staying fit and healthy. If something can be done to either extend the gym, remodel it, and/or add more machinery, I think that it would beneficial to everyone.

75 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Repave the permit parking lots

The parking lots are horrible and we all pay $600 a year to drive through potholes and park there. The side streets around here are in better condition than our parking lots.

75 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                        • Taco-bell on campus

Something to grab quick food between classes and of-course not expensive or fancy! Something more than 7-E!

72 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  Gokul ButailGokul Butail responded

Sodexo caters to over 6000 clients and over 10 million consumers everyday in US/Canada and Mexico. Sodexo works with other retail businesses and tries to get them to University campuses like they brought Einstein Bros Bagels to IIT . There is almost every restaurant that they could bring on campus but the problem is the “consumer demand”. According to Matthew Mueller, General Manager of Dinning only about a thousand students eat on the dinning locations. If that is the case, a new dinning location would not be feasible. SGA is trying its best to look for potential solution and meet the student needs.
                                            Thank you

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

SGA VoteBox

Feedback and Knowledge Base