I suggest SGA ...

Install security cameras on the boundaries of the main campus and have IIT Public Safety monitor them 24/7, especially at nights

On Tuesday, April 28th, 2014 at approximately 10:45pm, an IIT student was robbed by two armed people on Michigan Avenue outside of Gunsaulus hall. Due to the lack of patrols around that area during that time, IIT Public Safety was not able to prevent this incident, and due to the lack of security cameras around campus, they were not able to identify the attackers nor the car they used. We ask IIT to install security cameras on the boundaries of the main campus and have the IIT Public Safety department monitor them 24/7, especially at nights. The locations for the security cameras should include isolated places that are close to housing buildings and academic buildings.

430 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Luis Angelo LarcoLuis Angelo Larco shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This is so important. I am no longer a student at IIT, but last year me and my boyfriend were robbed at gunpoint by a group of 3 or 4 teenagers behind SSV. It was 7pm on a Sunday, so not even ridiculously late or anything. Because we were able to get inside SSV and call public safety quick enough they were able to catch one of the people. However, we were unable to identify them (had a sweatshirt over their face) and the security cameras on that path were terrible. We spent a few hours at CPD that night and all the officers complained about how terrible our security footage was, they joked about it not having been updated since the school was founded.

Nothing was ever published after this, which I am still upset about to this day, but I sincerely hope that the school updates their security measures.

• Mo SallalMo Sallal commented  · 

End the contract with the public safety at IIT and hire another company who are willing to work! (simple) Look at other university security companies!

• CaraCara commented  · 

Barrett, I think that is a fantastic idea. I would be really interested in working on a project that examines public safety records and maps incidents like robberies around campus throughout the year...even if it wasn't an IPRO. Make it happen SGA ;)

• Barrett LeslieBarrett Leslie commented  · 

I've been here for a few years and crime always spikes at the end of the semester, especially at the end of the SPRING semester. I'm sure security is aware of this, as I receive email updates to that effect every year. But seeing a graph of the data may be the best way to get the word out to an IIT audience. So as part of this VoteBox solution I'd like to make the suggestion that some sort of visible statistics tracking be created. By being able to visually see where crime happens on a map as well as historical charts as to when the crime will be the heaviest, students could become more aware of their environment. Maybe an IPRO could be developed to track crime on campus and to help see when and where more resources are needed?

Feedback and Knowledge Base