I suggest SGA ...

Work with OTS to investigate solutions to solve chronic wireless issues (speed, usability)

Countless times students have complained about not being able to connect to IIT-Secure, it being too slow (especially in residence halls), frequent disconnections, dead spots, and a variety of other issues. In the 2014-2019 Strategic Plan, strategic priority #4 is "Enhance IIT’s Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environments". In order to have a productive learning environment, technology must be working at its full potential. Frequent issues prevents students from completing homework, and faculty and staff cannot do their jobs properly.

Thus, SGA should work with the Office of Technology Services, students/staff with a strong networking/IT background, and end users to develop a much more reliable wireless solution. The solution should reduce complaints by at least 50% and be rated positively by the majority of students in the Students' Speak survey.

As IIT seeks to expand the student population and maximize the use of residence halls, we need to ensure wireless infrastructure is able to meet the needs of that growing population.

113 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric “Binary Sentinel” TendianEric “Binary Sentinel” Tendian shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Henry GreenHenry Green commented  · 

Brian is correct. There are too many access points in the dorms. In MSV one hallway has about 5 to 7 APs. The amount of APs causes (in my case) any UNIX based OS to disconnect and reconnect erratically.

Also, The ethernet, although its more stable than wifi, goes about 1/3 of the max speed of the wifi (1.1 MB/s on Ethernet versus around 3.5 MB/s on IIT-Console--both are download speeds). Someone needs to upgrade the wired internet because there is no way that a megabyte down is the max speed one can attain on cat5. Not everyone wants to purchase a wireless adapter nor does everyone have a laptop.

• Jamie EastlingJamie Eastling commented  · 

I think we should also fire Arthur and his Knights of the Round table that hide behind a half-wall and dictate to a frightened student worker what questions to ask and how to troubleshoot the problem.

• Brian SemrauBrian Semrau commented  · 

My suggestion is to do a proper analysis of the situation. While I haven't done a full site survey, I have seen enough to know that it was never done properly. It looks like the current solution to wireless problems is to constantly add more access points (APs) without doing the proper research first. Not only is this costly, but it is actually counter-productive, since the APs will interfere with eachother. I strongly suggest that IIT make use of students with networking experience (don't assume that just because they are students, that they don't know anything; I am on occasion talked down to by support reps at IIT even though I have a number of years of experience designing networks in the real world. I'm sure that I am not the only one), as well as have a proper site survey done.

Feedback and Knowledge Base